Friday, September 11, 2009

Rose Geranium Infused Simple Syrup

I did this far too late in the season. What does one do with infused simple syrups? Make cocktails. When does one most want to drink sweet cocktails? In the summer. Like I said, my timing is off, but nevertheless I think this syrup has potential.
Besides, I had to make it. My mom's geranium was dying after a summer spent in almost constant precipitation on the shady side of the house so she gave me the leaves, making me promise to put them to good use. My first idea was to make this apple geranium jelly I saw, but then the apples I got were so good straight out of the bag that I couldn't bear to make jelly out of them. I briefly considered geranium ice cream, but my freezer is still full of the basil and maple walnut ice cream from a couple weeks ago, so that was out. The leaves were starting to wilt in their plastic bag in the fridge so yesterday I decided I would just use them to flavor a simple syrup.

Geranium Infused Simple Syrup

  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 large handful scented geranium leaves
  • Place all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has COMPLETELY dissolved. When syrup begins to bubble, reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan. Once cool, strain syrup and discard leaves. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Should keep for two weeks or so.
Mom wasn't sure what kind of scented geranium she had, but scented it certainly was. After tasting the syrup, I can say with near certainty that it was a rose geranium. At first it is just sweet, but then you get a very distinct rose flavor. It reminds me of the Persian desserts my parents' Iranian friends used to serve us in South Africa.
I don't know what sort of drink I would put it in, but it would have to have some fizz, maybe some citrus, and a flower to garnish. Or rose geranium lemonade could be tasty. Or you could incorporate it somehow into a grilled fruit affair. Possibilities. Definite possibilities.

No comments: